All New York Courts are Now Open for All Business.
Subject to Covid-19 Restrictions.
Bombardo Law Office is
Fully Open to serve your Legal Needs

My Ex Will Not Stick to the Child Visitation Agreement: What Are My Legal Options?

Reaching a workable child visitation agreement can be extremely challenging. Parents put a lot of time, effort and energy into creating a plan that will actually work for all sides. When you finally manage to make a deal, it can be a huge relief. Unfortunately, this is not always the end of the story.

Indeed, in some cases, parents will soon find that their former partner is not holding up their end up the bargain. Here, our experienced Syracuse visitation rights attorneys discuss what you should do if your former partner refuses to stick to your agreed upon or court mandated child visitation agreement.

Find Out If Your Rights Have Been Violated

If you and your former partner have reached an official child visitation agreement, or if you are operating under a court-ordered agreement, you both have legal rights and legal obligations. If either partner is unwilling or unable to follow through with their end of the deal, then corrective action must be taken. Child visitation agreement violations come in many different forms, including:

  • Repeatedly being late when picking up or returning the child;
  • Ignoring the general visitation schedule;
  • Intentionally or negligently preventing parent/child communication; and
  • Intentional or malicious parental alienation.

Certainly, child visitation violations can vary considerably. Some violations are minor and should be corrected informally, while others are severe and will require legal action. When assessing your options, you should consider the nature of your former partner’s violations and decide if a simple conversation is sufficient to rectify the issue or if you will need to take more aggressive action.

You Have Legal Options Available

If repeated child visitation agreement violations are allowed to continue unchecked, then the problem may end up getting worse and the violations may become more brazen and severe. This is why it is imperative that parents take action to protect their legal rights. Of course, it is always best to attempt to resolve visitation and custody issues at the lowest possible level, but in some cases escalation may become necessary. If an informal conversation fails to fix the problem, you have the following three legal options available

  1. Your Syracuse child custody attorney can draft a letter to your former partner, informing them of their violation and of your intent to seek legal action if the problem continues.
  2. You can file a motion to seek official modification of your child visitation agreement.
  3. You can file a motion to hold your former partner in contempt of court, for their violations.

Contact an Experienced Syracuse Visitation Rights Lawyer Today

At the Bombardo Law Office, P.C., our team has extensive experience handling all aspects of child visitation cases. If your child’s other parent refuses to comply with your valid child visitation agreement, we can help. Please do not hesitate to call our Syracuse office today at (315) 488 5544 to request your free initial legal consultation. We return all calls promptly.

Comments are closed.

Contact Us